The Huon Valley – Tasmania
Huonville is small town within the Huon Valley in SE Tasmania with a population of around 1900 people. It is located on the Huon River and the place is well known for its primary industry – apple growing, cherries and plums. In fact, this area produces more than 50% of the apples in Tasmania and is surrounded by lovely fields on all sides. The fish farming industry is slowly becoming popular and the region produces some of the finest Tasmanian Salmon.
How to Get There.
Huonville, as a town, is relatively small but it is a prosperous community. It is considered to be the hub of the Huon Valley. The nearest big city is Hobart which is only 39 km away. The nearest airport is the Hobart Airport and it takes around 1 hr 31 min to reach Huonville from the airport.
Things to See and Do.
When you are at Huonville you will never feel bored as there is countless number of things to see and do. The main attractions of the town are as follows –
- Apple & Heritage Center – the center houses three main spots. The museum gives a detailed insight into the lives of the early settlers in Huon Valley; the Apple Blossom’s Gifts has a wide selection of local products and souvenirs and The Starving Artist which is basically an art gallery.
- Huon Jets – it gives you can opportunity to ride on the jet boats across the Huon River It is a 35 min ride and starts daily at 9am.
- White water rafting – this is another activity which you can do on the Huon River. Enjoy the wonderful scenery as you paddle along the calm and long stretches of the water. A perfect treat for the fans of eco tourism adventure.
- Tahune Air Walk – the Air Walk is the highlight of this area. It rises 48 m above the ground and stretches for around ½ a kilometer. If you had been longing for a taste of pristine nature walking then Huon Valley will be etched in your memories. The treetop walk is the icing on the cake as it gives a bird’s eye view of the town and the whole experience is truly breathtaking.
Shopping at Huonville.
When you are at Huonville you should not worry about ‘what to buy?’ Start by buying fresh fruits from the side of the road and visit the established fruit stores to buy the very best of apples, apricots and plums. You can also buy authentic Tasmanian timber from Gondwana Forest Products and for fragrances you can walk into Chemmart Chemist.
Where to Eat at Huonville
Huonville is for the Foodies and you just cannot miss the iconic Boat House Café which actually floats on the Huon River. Here you will get fish and chips, burgers and seafood delicacies. It also serves home made ice-cream and milk shakes.
The Franklin Aqua Grill is not a regular fish and chip shop which serves everything associated with seafood. You will get scallops and flake dipped in tempura batter and served with fresh salad. You can finish with a glass of chilled dessert wine. The restaurant is open daily for lunch and dinner.
Petty Sessions is known for excellent coffee and hearty light meals. Their signature dish is the abalone soup and the grilled cheese sandwich which is enjoyed by tourists and locals alike. The other popular items here is the rhubarb shortcake and berry tower dessert.
Accommodation options at Huonville
- The Huonville Grand Hotel has been the heart of the valley and easily the well-recognized hotel here. It has been operational for over 100 years. The hotel has 17 rooms with shared bathrooms at a price that will never burn a hole in your pocket. The rooms on the upper floors have a great view of the Huon River.
- Port Huon Cottages – these are fully self-contained cottages with facilities like BBQ and fishing equipment. It is located on the main road and easily recognizable by the blue shed-like houses.
- Walton House – located just across the river, this B&B is a wonderful mix of modernity and tradition. The ensuite queen rooms are fully furnished and has subtle décor that goes with the overall atmosphere of the place. Walton has a reputation for pampering their guests. You will be treated with complementary chocolates and fruits. The breakfast spread is the talk of the town and you will get all the delicacies like smoked salmon, creamy yogurt, scrambled eggs and local fruits.